(Video retrieved from here 10/04/16)
In the modern age where Technology is advancing at an astonishing rate, we really start to wonder what are the possibilities? Did you know 5 years ago, the general thought of people in the IT world was that the technology we have now would be available in roughly 20 years, that’s how much technology has evolved in the last 5 years, and its only evolving faster!
What is Real?
What is real? that’s a good question when it comes to the IT world. With the arrival of technology such as Microsoft Hololens, this question will become harder to answer in the future, before I explain, I recommend you watch the video below or go and visit the Microsoft Hololens website to get a understanding of what technology I’m talking about.
(video retrieved from here 10/4/16)
After visiting the above link or watching the video, do you find yourself asking yourself ‘what is real’?
Its such a hard question to answer as people will always have their own opinion on what’s real, but to some context all of those answers are right. Some people will answer if they can see it, it’s real, well that’s right but in virtual reality are you seeing real objects? Some people answer if I can touch it it’s real, well that’s also right but when using the Microsoft Hololens, are the objects your touching real? See…its an extremely hard question to answer, and I’ve only lusted a few examples.
For me, the best way I can answer what is real is, if you experience it, it’s real.
Here are a look at what is in my opinion of both positive and negative aspects of Microsoft Hololens.
- Gaming….oh imagine the awesomeness that could happen.
- Learning, Why pay massive school fees when you can have your own personal teacher teaching you one on one….in your home.
- Watching your favourite TV show, sports event of movies…..wherever you want.
- The Hololens may be able to assist people that suffer from disabilities, these people can do things with the Hololens that would otherwise be impossible.
- Productivity within such sectors in the IT industry, for example imagine how much a 3D designer could accomplish using an Hololens.
- This ties into a positive I’ve listed but its a consequence of that positive. Learning, if people are using augmented reality in their schooling, what is to happen of the ‘real’ teacher’s job?
- Teaching is just one of the many occupations I believe may be in jeopardy because of the Microsoft Hololens.
- Socialising skills. This is already evident with the technology we have at the moment in my opinion. When I say socialising skills I mean socialising in ‘person’.
- Having kids always makes me think of their future and personally I worry about the possibilities with things such as the Hololens. I’d much rather my children go and play outside than ‘bring’ outside inside.
Before I get started on the Oculus Rift, I suggest if you have no idea what it actually is you go and visit their website. Here’s a link https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
Now we have been asked if we believe the Oculus Rift would have a life outside gaming?
Personally I believe yes, the reason being is simply at this point of time in the Oculus Rift’s lifetime, its only the start and who knows how it will evolve. At it’s current state, it’s amazing and the sky is the limit.
I see a future where people will be able to visit popular tourist destinations from the comfort of their own home with technology such as the Oculus Rift. Now imagine how great that would be for someone who was unable to ever visit such places such as people suffering from disabilities.
The Sky is The Limit
As the title says, The sky is the Limit with the Technology and in particular the Microsoft Hololens. I truly believe the Hololens will change the world and it will affect everyone. I’m going to show you a awesome video of the Microsoft Hololens and I can guarantee you will be not only amazed at what it does, but it will open your imagination up on what are the possibilities with such technology!
Video Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgakdcEzVwg
Now tell me…..are you not excited???